Thursday, December 7, 2017

Watch out for Adobe

Posting a chat here with Adobe support. To say the least, I'm frustrated and annoyed. Short version, I work on both a work laptop and a personal laptop. For awhile I had a paid Adobe cloud account that my work paid for. I shared the login on both my laptops as I sometimes did work on my personal laptop.

At some point, I no longer needed the login and my work stopped paying for it. I uninstalled the apps on both computers. You'd think that would be the end of it.

Later, I needed to do some photo editing for a personal project and I realized that I had an old trial version of Adobe photoshop that I still had. When I tried to use it, the software told me that I was logged into my old work account on the cloud and that it was deactivated.

I went to Adobe and tried logging out. Didn't work.

Things got weird when I turned off my internet connection and tried again. It still said that I was logged into my work account. How was that possible? I was offline and my apps had been deleted!

Things got wierder when after some digging, I found the AdobeCloudCleanerTool which has multiple options including one for specifically cleaning your Adobe ID. I used it, multiple times. Searches on my computer for anything Adobe related turned up nothing.

But guess what? I still got the message, offline, that I couldn't use the trial because I was still logged into my work account.

This was three or fours in and I was getting frustrated. I put it aside and picked the project up again this morning and contacted customer support. The following is my FOUR HOUR chat with them.



Kavita : Hello! Welcome to Adobe support.Kavita : We appreciate your patience and apologize for the wait.Connor Alexander: Sure
Kavita : Hello Connor, how are you doing today?Connor Alexander: Frustrated!
Kavita : I apologize for the inconvenience.Connor Alexander: Thanks. Let's get it fixed and I'll be all good :-)
Kavita : If I got you correct, you want to delete the Adobe account. Am I right?Connor Alexander: Yes - on my computer and in your system.
Kavita : I understand your concern and I will try to help you with this.Kavita : May I please have your email address registered with Adobe?Kavita : So that I can locate the account?Connor Alexander: yes, as I wrote in the original post: connora@pubservinc.com
Kavita : Thank you for verifying it again.Kavita : Please allow me 1-2 minutes to review your account details.Kavita : We appreciate your patience and apologize for the wait.Kavita : We have received your request to close your account and we are sorry to see you go. When we close your account, you will no longer be able to use this Adobe ID to log into any Adobe apps, services or support services. Any active subscriptions associated with this Adobe ID will be cancelled. Upon closure, your account and its contents automatically will be scheduled for deletion. Deletion typically takes place after 60 days. We will still keep basic information about any contractual agreement we had with you and the products and services you used in accordance with our business record retention obligations.Kavita : Account deletion is permanent and irreversible so, before you close your account, please make sure that you have downloaded everything you store with us that you want to keep, like files stored in Document Cloud, photos stored in Lightroom, contracts stored in Adobe Sign, or projects stored in Creative Cloud.Kavita : Please confirm that you would like to proceed with the closure and deletion of your Adobe ID account by responding with the text “I AGREE”.Connor Alexander: I AGREE
Kavita : Thank you.Kavita : Please stay connected while I am filling the deletion form for you.Kavita : We appreciate your patience and apologize for the wait.Kavita : It will take 2 more minutes only.Kavita : Thank you.Kavita : I have filled the form for you.Kavita : It will be delete as soon as possible.Connor Alexander: Why is it taking so long?
Kavita : I am sorry but there is some process that needs to0 be validated that's why it will take some time to delete the account.Kavita : But do not worry, it will be delete as soon as possible.Kavita : I have filled the deletion form for you.Connor Alexander: As soon as possible is pretty vague. Do you mean five minutes? Five days? Five weeks?
Kavita : As it is mentioned in the script, I have sent to you.Connor Alexander: I'm sorry? The only timeline you've mentioned was "two minutes" and that was eight minutes ago. Are you saying it's done?
Kavita : I would like to inform that the script I had sent to you, it says that it will typically takes place after 60 days. Kavita : And I would like to inform that you have agreed on the statements.Connor Alexander: That is entirely unacceptable. Please escalate this to whomever you need to. Deleting an account should not take 60 days and I don't appreciate your company leaving script on my computer that I cannot find or delete.
Kavita : Please do not worry, it will not take that much time.Kavita : I would like to inform that it will tale this much time.Kavita : take*Kavita : As soon as the process will be done, we will delete your account.Kavita : I apologize for the inconvenience.Connor Alexander: While I acknowledge your pleasantries, the outcome here is entirely unacceptable. 
Kavita : I understand your concern.Kavita : I would like to inform that there is some procedure which needs to follow in order to delete the account.Connor Alexander: What procedure? How is this not two or three clicks on a computer? Your company doesn't have a right to keep information on my computer when I'm not paying you and I've asked you to remove it. 
Kavita : As per Adobe policy, it takes some time to delete the account. It takes time because we need to delete the account from Adobe Server.Connor Alexander: Are you telling me that you have a computer that takes 60 days to delete something?That's funny, because mine can delete something in about 10 seconds.
Kavita : It will not take 60days.Kavita : It will be delete soon.Kavita : As soon as the process will complete, we will delete your account.Connor Alexander: We've been chatting for 15 minutes. It should have been deleted 14 minutes ago. We'll keep chatting till it's deleted.
Kavita : I have filled the deletion form for you.Kavita : I really apologize for the inconvenience we have caused to you.Connor Alexander: Please stop apologizing while you're inconveniencing me. Instead please, stop inconveniencing me. Your company does not have a right to conceal information on my computer. Either you, or someone else at your company, needs to remove it, right now. If you cannot accomplish this task, please put me in touch with someone who can.
Kavita : I totally understand your concern.Kavita : Please try to understand that it will not take very long time.Kavita : We will try to delete it as soon as possible.Connor Alexander: "try" and "as soon as possible" and "not take very long time" are phrases that are so vague that they hold your company to no timeline and no real action at all. That isn't how business is done. You've used up 30 minutes of my time so far and I'm only asking for the simplest of resolutions. Since you do not seem capable of helping me or of supplying me with any useful information, please escalate this to your superior.
Kavita : Okay. Please wait for 2 minutes.Kavita : I am connecting you to my superior.RajatKumar: Hello Connor, My name is Rajat, I am the floor Supervisor.RajatKumar: How are you doing today?Connor Alexander: Hello. I'm not doing well.
RajatKumar: Sorry to hear that!RajatKumar: Please allow me 2-3 minutes to review your concern.RajatKumar: We appreciate your patience and apologize for the wait.RajatKumar: As I have checked, you have issue with Account Deletion, is it correct?Connor Alexander: Yes, that's accurate if somewhat reductive.
RajatKumar: Thank you for the conformation.RajatKumar: So, I would like to inform you that, we have a time frame for account deletion but do not worry, I will escalate your case to my relevant team so that they can give priority for your case and they will help you to delete your account as soon as possible.RajatKumar: So shall I go ahead and escalate your case to my relevant team?Connor Alexander: If I could ask one favor of you and your team. Please stop saying the following phrases: "Do not worry", "as soon as possible", and "I understand your concern." I hope you understand that after awhile they become more irritating than helpful. But to your point, I don't understand why it takes a "team" to delete an account. Quite frankly, this conversation is getting bizarre. How can it take a team of people to delete something? I can delete something on my own with a couple of clicks of my mouse. I would like you to take direct action that results in a specific outcome while I'm on this chat with you. As soon as possible.
RajatKumar: I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused to you. I will personally take responsibility for finding a resolution for you.RajatKumar: As a user of Adobe products myself, I can understand how frustrating this situation must've been for you.RajatKumar: But I would like to inform you that we need some time to delete your Adobe Account with our Adobe Server.Connor Alexander: I'll wait. :-)
RajatKumar: But what best I can do for you, I can escalate your case to my relevant team so that they can give priority for your case and they will help you to delete your account as soon as possible.Connor Alexander: Oh, see, I asked very nicely if you could not use that phrase any more. :-( "As soon as possible" doesn't actually mean anything. I'm sure you're a very capable person. I'll wait right here while you go delete my account. 
RajatKumar: Okay Connor, right now I forwarding your case to my relevant team for account deletion.Connor Alexander: Great! Let me know when you've got it deleted.
RajatKumar: We appreciate your patience and apologize for the wait.RajatKumar: I would like to inform you that I have escalated your case to my relevant team and they will pick your case as high priority level and they will work on it but in order to delete your account we need to follow a process, so that we need 6-7 hours to delete your account.Connor Alexander: I'll wait :-)
RajatKumar: Thank you.Connor Alexander: No problem. How's your day going?
RajatKumar: Good.RajatKumar: Is there anything else I can help you with? Connor Alexander: Nope. Just hang out with me here until my ID is deleted. I'd prefer to stay on customer service chat until I've gotten a resolution.
Connor Alexander: Do you have a case number for this? I'm getting a Twitter message from you guys asking about what's happening here.
RajatKumar: Thank you, but I would like to inform you that, I have already forwarded your case to my relevant team and they will get back to you once they delete your account.Connor Alexander: Can I have a case number please? Someone from Adobe is asking for it.
RajatKumar: Sure!RajatKumar: We appreciate your patience and apologize for the wait.RajatKumar: ADB-408239-B4M7 is your case number.RajatKumar: Are we still connected?Connor Alexander: We are! 
RajatKumar: Thank you.RajatKumar: I have already escalated your case and they will get back to with the correct resolution.RajatKumar: You can go ahead and disconnect this chat.Connor Alexander: Thanks, I'll wait :-)
RajatKumar: Okay.Connor Alexander: Whew. That deleting is tough to do, huh?
RajatKumar: No, but any how we have to follow the process for account deletion.Connor Alexander: Sounds like a pretty sketchy process. 
RajatKumar: Connor, could you please help me with your phone number so that our relevant team will contact back to you once they resolve your concern/RajatKumar: Concern?Connor Alexander: 818-395-1562
Connor Alexander: Actually, no please do not call me. I have too much other work stuff going on.
RajatKumar: Okay,RajatKumar: So I would like to request you to disconnect this chat and we will get back to you once the account will deleted.Connor Alexander: Thanks but I prefer to stay on this chat until my problem is resolved.
RajatKumar: We appreciate your patience and apologize for the wait.RajatKumar: I totally understand your concern but I would like to inform you that I have already escalated your case to my relevant team and I have provided your number as well, so do not worry they will get back to you.Connor Alexander: I'm being very patient, but I did ask you not to say "do not worry", as that is exactly what I'm doing because an entire team of people are incapable of deleting an account in two hours. The ability of Adobe to get back to me is highly in doubt. If you can't delete in an account in two hours, how can I trust you'll be able to get back to me. In all likelihood, I'll just have to start this whole process over again if I disconnect. So no, I'm going to stay on. Thank you.
RajatKumar: I would like to inform you that, as I have already informed you that it will take 60 days to process for account deletion but as high priority level I have already escalated your case and they will help you to delete your account as soon as possible.RajatKumar: And I have already provided the case number so that you no need to worry about  this whole process over again if I disconnect.Connor Alexander: Thank you. But I would like to inform you that your reassurances are insufficient, considering your inability to delete an account.
RajatKumar: We appreciate your patience and apologize for the wait.RajatKumar: It appears that you have an Enterprise account as a result of your relationship with PSI. Because the data at issue belongs to them, only they have the ability to authenticate you, and you will need to make your request to your administrator. I’m sorry that I can’t help you further with this issue.Connor Alexander: It took you three hours for this reply? This is unsatisfactory to say the least. I have Adobe data on my personal computer. My employer is not responsible for your data. Since your company has seen fit to hide the files on my computer, it is up to you to remove them.
Connor Alexander: I'd also like to point out that had I taken you at your word about an hour and 40 minutes ago, I would not have had my account deleted for the reasons you've just now relayed. So you can see why I can't trust that it's okay to disconnect.
RajatKumar: As I have informed you that I have already escalated your case to my relevant team and they informed that this is an enterprise account so, any how you need to contact and request to your Administrator.RajatKumar: I’m sorry that I can’t help you further with this issue.Connor Alexander: I'll repeat: I have Adobe data on my personal computer. My employer is not responsible for your data. Since your company has seen fit to hide the files on my computer, it is up to you to remove them.
RajatKumar: I understand but I can’t help you further with this issue.Connor Alexander: Then please escalate me to someone who can. 
RajatKumar: Connor, right now I'm working on your issue, and so far I have provided you with the best possible optionRajatKumar: You have been our valuable customer for a long time and definately it becomes our responsibility to help you in this regardRajatKumar: However, Connor, we are following the clear procedure to do so and we need to go step by step to resolve it once and for allConnor Alexander: I'm confused. Are you working on my issue or can you not help me any further? I've explained that my employer has no connection to your software on my personal laptop.
RajatKumar: Connor, we cannot delete any data from a customer's PC/laptopRajatKumar: We could have supported you with the same if there would have been any active subscription or product in your accountConnor Alexander: So, you've put data on my computer but you can't tell me how to get it off. Can you tell me where it is? You've done a good job of hiding it. Even your own scrubber software doesn't get rid of it.
RajatKumar: Connor, I would like to inform you that the product which you are using is cloud based, therefore the saved files are saved on cloud and not in your laptop's hard driveRajatKumar: Therefore, de-activating any creative cloud subscription automatically deletes your data which is located in the cloud storageRajatKumar: Since, there are no active subscription in your account as of now, which indicates that you have already de-activated your subscription with us, your data associated with your subscription was also deleted from the cloudConnor Alexander: This is categorically untrue. I know because when I'm not connected to the internet and I try to activate a piece of software it says that I'm logged into my cloud service under "connora@pubservinc.com". How can it say that if I'm not online? Even after I've gone back online and "logged out" and scrubbed all data regarding my ID with your scrubber tool?
Connor Alexander: Somewhere on my computer - locally - is data that says I'm logged in as "connora@pubservinc.com", even when I'm not on the internet. That means the data is on my computer. Your software has failed to remove it. I want it gone. 
RajatKumar: Ok Connor, when do you get the notification stating that you are logged in ? And which software are you trying to activate while it says so ?Connor Alexander: I get the notification while trying to do a trial on photoshop, but that doesn't matter. What I want is the information on both ends scrubbed - from my computer and from your system. How do you have information on my computer that I can't access?
Connor Alexander: I need to be able to disassociate my my personal computer from my work profile and the fact that Adobe seems to be hiding information on my computer is really sketchy and upsetting.
RajatKumar: Connor, so you want to use your another email ID in order to get a photoshop trial from Adobe.com, and while doing so it tells you that you are already logged in using "connora@pubservinc.com" , am i correct ?Connor Alexander: Yes - even though I've logged out of that account and regardless of whether I'm online or offline.
RajatKumar: Since "connora@pubservinc.com" belongs to your work profileRajatKumar: Is that right ?Connor Alexander: Yes. Which means that there is Adobe information on my laptop that is hidden from me. 
RajatKumar: Ok Connor, did you try using any other browser while going on Adobe.com in order to download a Photoshop trial ?RajatKumar: If no, then lets download photoshop trial using another browser with your another email ID which is not associated with your work profileinfo: Your chat transcript will be sent to connora@pubservinc.com at the end of your chat.
Connor Alexander: It's like you're not really listening to anything I've actually said. I'm done. You win. You have officially talked in circles until I gave up. You have been no help at all and you've wasted my entire morning. I won't be using Adobe products any longer and I'll be sure to pass along my experience here today with any many people as possible. I'm going to be very clear here. You've dodged my questions regarding information on my computer multiple times. I find that offensive and dishonest. I asked for clear help: delete my account in your system and traces of it on my computer. You've done neither. You've only dodged my questions and misdirected me. Enough.


Some interesting things to note in this conversation:
 - Adobe reps NEVER give a solid answer to anything I ask. They always talk in vague terms like "Soon" or "as soon as possible"

 - The supervisor either flat out lies or is ignorant of the fact that I obviously have data on my computer that Adobe has put there. He says it's "all on the cloud" but ignores the fact that I get the same message even when offline.

 - They refuse to address my repeated questions about data hidden on my computer. Even when I'm directly asking him, he redirects me to a ridiculous suggestion about trying to download it in a different browser. 

- As far as I can tell, the Adobe ID data is still on my laptop somewhere and I have no idea how to get rid it. (If anyone does, please hit me up)

- They really, really don't want to do things while you wait. The guy tried to get me to disconnect multiple times. They also have a hard time deviating from their script of "I'm sorry" and "I understand your concern" even after I asked them not to say those phrases any longer.

No comments: